Monday, March 7, 2011

How Does Your Garden Grow?

I love spring! I haven't seen any sign of it yet but I went out the other day to look.  At that point there wasn't any snow on the ground.  Now there is - again!  Oh well, I know it'll be here sooner or later, which is why I have started dreaming of my garden.  Or should I say gardens?  We have several and they all serve a purpose.

I ordered my seeds this year from Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds several weeks ago.  We had used them before, several years ago, and they really are very good seeds.  Last year we ordered from a different seed company but weren't too happy with the results.  We ended up going to Walmart and picking up some seeds there to make up for the bum seeds we got.


Every year since 2009 we've kept a garden diary.  I don't know where the idea came from or why, but it just seemed like a good idea to start.  We picked out a lined journal with a nice thick cover and good binding and just wrote about everything garden.  Included were activities like planting the seeds and when they started poking their little stems out of the soil, plans for each of the gardens, and even when we saw the first goldfinch at our feeders.  I looked back in it last night and noticed that on May 31st, 2009 it hailed!



I find that if I write on one side of the page I can add pictures or drawings on the other side.  I put in the started gardens and then towards the end of the growing season I add the gardens at their fullest.  It is so satisfying and helpful because I can decide what or what not to do the next season!



This year our gardens will definately have a purple tint to them.  We will be planting purple radishes, peppers and cabbage!  I'm so excited and I can't wait to get down to the earth again and sink my hands into the rich dark soil and create!  it'll be fun and I will keep you posted!



3 comments:

  1. Jennifer I am jealous! I want a garden! My dad says everyone should know how to grow food because when times are tough you can rely on that :) Good for you guys for keeping a journal, how cool!

    Hope you have Spring there soon! I am so with you!!! When I was in elementary school we would write on the windows the word "snow" why don't we do the same now, but write "spring"?

    Deb♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea! We no longer have a garden because lack of water is an issue where we live. I did love it when we had our garden - my favorite time was when the plants first started coming up. Fun, fun, fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have to check out Artistic Gardens! I believe you will fall in love (I have). Very inexpensive sample seed packs (which is perfect - how many tomato plants does one need?) and lots of fun varieties. If you like summer squash I recommend the Ronde de Nice!

    www.artisticgardens.com

    ReplyDelete